The use of sophisticated electronics equipment like Computers, DC Drives, Variable Frequency Drives, Thyristorised Heater Controllers, UPS, Switch Mode Power Supplies etc is increasing day by day in the industry.
These are non-linear loads and are responsible for harmonics generation. They draw non-sinusoidal current from the mains as compared to the linear loads like Incandescent lamp, Heating loads and Induction motor loads.
The influence of the harmonics is not known to many and so this is neglected for quite some times. Harmonics are responsible for,
- Overheating, burnout or generation of vibration and beat noise in capacitors, reactors, generators and transformers
- Overheating of cables and neutral lines in 3-phase, 4-wire systems
- Responsible for malfunction of control circuits of rectifier controllers
- Nuisance operation of protection relays, circuit breakers and fuses
- Disturbance in communication lines and audio equipment
- Deteriorates computer / PLC performance
- Error in watt-hour meter
It is consumer’s responsibility to maintaining current distortion within the acceptable levels (Std. IEEE-519), while the utility is responsible for limiting voltage distortion.
Amtech, a leading motor control and automation solution provider, is also one of the most trusted solution provider for power quality problems. Our
PQEC (Power Quality & Energy Conservation) business vertical
for power quality improvements.